How do you define Black British?
- We define Black as anyone of African, African Caribbean, mixed African or mixed African Caribbean descent.
- We define British as relating to being from or based in the UK.
- You do not have to be British or currently residing in the UK to join but you do need to have an interest/specialism in Black British Writing.
I’m not a published writer. Can I still join BBWaSA?
- Yes! You don’t need to be a published writer to join BBWaSA. Anyone who self-defines as a writer of any genre – including academic scholars – is welcome to join.
I’m not sure whether I qualify as a scholar. Is this network for me?
- You don’t need to be linked with an educational establishment. Scholarly work can, and does, happen outside academia.
- You don’t need a BA, MA or PhD to join.
What is the required commitment? Do you meet in person?
- We currently meet online on a monthly basis. Your only commitment is to attend when you can.
If you have any other questions or need clarification on any of the above, contact us to find out more!